Fun with Kits

Like a Kid in a Science Surplus Store...
While searching online just before Christmastime this year, I discovered the existence of a science surplus store in my area.  Immediately, I began mentally assembling kits out of these wonderful and cheap little tools.  Within a week, I was in this incredibly unique little place.

If you haven't hit up a science surplus store, you're missing out.  I highly recommend a science themed kit as a gift for any young scientist (or young at heart scientist) in your family.  

A Gift of Entomology- A Bug Lover's Kit
I say "bug lover" because it has found its way into traditional lexicon. 
Real bugs are a very specific type of insect, and insects must have six legs - the millipedes, centipedes, spiders, pillbugs and harvestmen which will find their way into these bug containers don't really qualify.  Even the majority of other insects don't have the exact mouthparts to qualify them as bugs - members of the Order Hemiptera.  But "land-based arthropods" doesn't have the same ring as "bugs," so I beg forgiveness from all entomologist (basically - insect studying) visitors here.

Inspired by my job at the forest preserve, I picked up these awesome materials for going on a bug hunt.  After tossing them all into a box, I had a perfect gift for two of my young cousins.


Box contents: butterfly net, bug jar, magnifying glass,
binoculars, and awesome bug kit

I will give you this- the binocular doesn't make as much sense,
but it was the perfect fit to round out my $25 limit

This awesome bug kit contains two sets of tweezers, three bug jars,
and a bug viewing station that allows magnified views from top and bottom
The gifts went over well with the boys who received them, although I may have been a bit overenthusiastic in giving these gifts for Christmas in Illinois.

Spectacular Science Kit
I may have gone overboard with this one.  But I have gotten really good responses from my young cousins whenever I would do home science experiments like the ones I did in my position as a science workshop leader.  The wide variety of plastic test tubes and vials, pipettes and Erlenmeyer flasks just seemed too good to pass up.  I will admit, I bought my own little science kit over winter break, tested it out on 8 girls ages 7-16, and deemed it a success.  By spring break, this kit had been refined and purchased, and in the process of assembly.

Repurposed First Aid Kit

Vials, 2 sizes, labelled for Mystery Chemicals

Contents of Science Kit, including Mystery Chemicals

Assembling Mystery Chemical H (aka Vegetable Oil)
Equipment (with Mystery Chemicals) Inside Box

Full Contents!
Of course, that was only PART of the work.  Then came the fun part.
The measurements are very precise rough estimates
I wised up the second go-round and typed up the recipes.
I was also in the process of making a paleontology kit, so I bought a few tubs of Crayola Model Magic.  The empty tubs made a pretty cool place to house the full contents of this birthday gift.




And then, we became scientists!

Cold Fizzing Foam

Making a density vial

Isn't science fun?

Gotta shake that density vial!

Looking at our results

Making snow in May!

Had to save the classic until right before bedtime!
I think the boys had a lot of fun.  All in all, a great gift.

Oh, and a chance for them to add some extra fun.  This was M's other birthday gift.

Meet Reggie the Bearded Dragon

M decided to keep track of how big his pet was


In his new science notebook!


"3 inches, 8 centimeters"
"It exploded"
I fully intend on showing on you Q's gift, but when I think about the amount of time I spent on it, I have decided to give it its own post!

So stay tuned for my paleontology kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment